By Joan Abaasa
Communications Intern, ICPAU
The Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Uganda (ICPAU) is gearing up for its Council member elections which will be conducted electronically from 29 May to 14 June 2023. The elected Council will serve a two-year term, starting 1 July 2023 – June 2025.
Electronic elections are provided for in the Accountants Regulations, 2016 which state that electronic elections must start thirty days before the Annual General Meeting (AGM) and end fourteen days before the AGM.
Electronic ballots have several advantages such as increased accessibility for voters, enhanced accuracy of results, and the reduction in the usage of paper, among others.
“We first adopted electronic elections in 2020 due to the pandemic restrictions, but because of the benefits, we decided to maintain them so that we can not only increase the transparency and authenticity of the electoral process but also increase ballot accessibility for our members who are located in various parts of the world,” said CPA Derick Nkajja, the Secretary/CEO of ICPAU.
The Council is the governing body of ICPAU and it comprises eleven members. The Council is assisted by the Public Accountants Examinations Board (PAEB), the Quality Assurance Board, the Disciplinary Committee, the Disciplinary Appeals Committee, and other Committees.
Of the eleven members of the ICPAU Council, seven are elected by ICPAU members who are in good standing with the Institute, three are ex-officio members and are appointed by the Minister for Finance, and one member is a Ministerial Appointee, also appointed by the Minister of Finance, from a recognised professional or regulatory body.
As stipulated in the Accountants Act, 2013, of the seven elected members, five must be practising accountants, and three must be women. The three ex-officio members are the Accountant-General, the Auditor-General, and the officer responsible for higher education in the Ministry of Education.
To be eligible for nomination as a candidate, one must be a member of ICPAU, and one must be in good standing with the Institute. Candidates are nominated by members of ICPAU who are in good standing.
The nominees for the 2023 ICPAU Council elections are:
- CPA Hon. James Nathan Nandala Mafabi – Practitioner, MTC Associates- FM032
- CPA Dr Albert Richards Otete – Partner, J.Samuel Richards and Associates -FM131
- CPA Josephine Okui Okwakol Ossiya – Partner, Rona and Partners-FM221
- CPA Ronald Mutumba – Managing Partner, Mutumba Mukobe and Associates-FM541
- CPA Timothy David Ediomu- Partner, Ediomu and Company-FM584
- CPA Dan Namwanza Badebye- Partner Bawunha and Badebye CPA-FM707
- CPA Gloria Tuhaise Wakooba – Deputy Director of Administration and Head of Innovation Hub at Bank of Uganda-787
- CPA Prof. Laura Aseru Orobia – Professor/Deputy Dean-faculty of graduate studies and research, Makerere University Business School-FM845
- CPA Brenda Nabachwa- Senior Principal Banking Officer, Bank of Uganda-FM1341
The election results will be announced at the AGM of the Institute in June 2023.