The Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Uganda (ICPAU) has unveiled the winners of the fourth cohort of the Student Scholarship Programme.
The 10 winners who applied for scholarships from June to July 2022 were announced by the President of ICPAU, CPA Constant Othieno Mayende on 28 March 2023. This was at the Protea Hotel by Marriott Kampala Skyz. The beneficiaries will use the scholarship package awarded to them to study the Certified Public Accountants of Uganda (CPA) Course.
According to John Bosco Ntangaare, the ICPAU Director – Education, the winners exhibited a high level of skills during the essay competition compared to the other interested applicants.
“Out of the 489 applicants we had in 2022, these 10 were exceptional with how they wrote their essays, besides the additional points awarded to them in accordance with their CGPA,” he noted.
The CEO of the ICPAU, CPA Derick Nkajja appreciated the ICPAU Council for approving the concept of the student scholarships which are aimed at nurturing young talent in the field of professional accountancy.
“As ICPAU, we are trying to do whatever it takes to develop the accountancy profession because we believe that economies are driven by companies doing well, which is a result of professional financial managers,” CPA Nkajja stated.
The fourth cohort of the ICPAU scholarship beneficiaries will write their first examinations in August 2023, and their package covers the students’ registration, annual studentship renewal, examination fees and the cost of study material for a course to be completed in period of two and a half years.
The President of the Institute remarked that the Institute is proud to have set a solid foundation upon which younger accountants will thrive.
“It is always refreshing to see a group of young men and women ready to get into the accountancy profession. I urge the beneficiaries to work hard to drive the accountancy profession to heights,” Mayende said.
While launching the ICPAU Students Scholarship Program 2022, the Chief Guest, CPA Gervase Ndyanabo applauded the Institute for the commendable work of seeking to promote the standard of accountancy in the country. He urged beneficiaries to be intentional while setting their target and work hard to achieve them.
“Do not set mediocre goals and avoid being lazy because you are personally responsible for the biggest percentage of what happens in your life. Once one has a target that they are passionate about, they will definitely achieve it,” he remarked.
The ICPAU Student Scholarship programme is capped at 10 beneficiaries and targets university graduates from Public and Private Chartered Universities who have first Class honors and Second Class (Upper division) degrees. It was introduced in 2019 and has since benefitted 40 students.
The Winners of the 2022 ICPAU scholarships (fourth Cohort)
Winners of the third cohort (2021 Scholarships)
Announced on 21 September 2021. There were 265 applicants and 10 beneficiaries were selected. They wrote their first examinations in December 2022.
Winners of the Second Cohort (2020 Scholarships)
Were enrolled in February 2021. Wrote first examinations in October 2021
- Racheal Nahurira – Makerere University
- Francis Mubiru – Kyambogo University
- Alex Kisakye – Makerere University
- John Michael Muyobo – Kyambogo University
- Precious Aheirwe – Kyambogo University
- Emmanuel Bugembe – Makerere University
- Mercy Orishaba – Uganda Christian University
- Jotham Wante – Makerere University
- Andrew Ocen – Kabale University
- Mary Carolyne Najjemba – Makerere University
Winners of the First Cohort (2019 Scholarships)
Enrolled in November 2019. Wrote first examinations in December 2020.
- Ms. Irene Namusaazi – Makerere University
- Ms. Audrey Nshabire – Makerere University
- Ms. Catherine Namuyomba – Makerere University
- Mr. Charles Nasasira – Makerere University
- Mr. Isaac Matsiko – Mbarara University of Science and Technology
- Ms. Lillian Bukirwa – Mbarara University of Science and Technology
- Ms. Shalom Zaninka – Uganda Christian University
- Mr. Geofrey Bogere – Bugema University
- Mr. Beatrice Wanyirigira – Kyambogo University
- Mr. Douglas Tukamuhebwa – Ndejje University